Wednesday, May 18, 2011

M. Jeff Thompson's letter to President Jefferson Davis volunteering his services

The following letter was sent to the President of the Confederate States by St. Joseph's former mayor, M. Jeff Thompson, to offer his services to the South. It pre-dates his discussion with the new St. Joseph postmaster (which I posted yesterday) by about three weeks and was sent immediately after the fall of Ft. Sumter.


Saint Joseph, Mo., April 15, 1861.

His Excellency Jefferson Davis,
President of the Confederate States, Montgomery, Ala.:

Sir: 
 
M. Jeff Thompson
Not knowing the name of your adjutant-general or any other proper person to make the inquiries of which I desire, I have taken the liberty of addressing you direct.

I am anxious to know whether the Confederate States desire volunteers from the border States, and if there is any regular arrangement for their reception, or whether it is necessary to have any authority from your Government before volunteers should be raised.

My object in asking is that, should Missouri refuse to join her Southern sisters, I desire and intend to move South, and I can, if acceptable, bring one, two, or three companies of as good and true men as the Southern sun ever shone on, if I can assure them that their officers will be confirmed and commissioned by your Government.

I would respectfully refer you to Hon. Luther Glen, commissioner from Georgia to Missouri, or Hon. _______ Russell, commissioner from Mississippi to Missouri, or his Excellency C. F. Jackson, Governor of Missouri.

Yours respectfully,
M. Jeff Thompson,
Colonel, Inspector Fourth Military District Missouri Militia

p. 684, Series I, Volume I, Official Records of the War of the Rebellion

1 comment:

  1. I think many of the weapons from the Liberty Arsenal Raid ended up not only in St. Joe, but all across the area. I'd be curious what other connections Mr. Thompson had to Claiborne Jackson, Sterling Price, or any other important leaders in the area.

    ReplyDelete