Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Afterwife Book Review



Sometimes not reading the book cover turns into a pleasant surprise. I had my doubts about Gigi Levangie Grazerat's book in the opening pages but enjoyed the surprise as I finished the book. 
The doubts came as the beginning of the book had the protagonist's husband dying. A deeply loved husband killed in the first few pages is not my idea of escapist reading. However, it paid to stay with it as I did enjoy the book and its unexpected curve into unforeseen territory. I don't want to spoil this for anyone else so let me just say that there is a play on words with the title.  Think Afterlife and you'll have a clue what's ahead.
Grazer has a host of characters that are fun, pathetic, and believable supporting the widow. Her subplots also take side trips that are surprising and entertaining. I even laughed out loud at some of the antics in the book. For something that starts out with a sad premise, she turns it into a book that's both engaging and amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment